Pages: 1 | Index | Next >>
Author Comment
DSPro14
Regular
Loc: Irvine, CA

(05/07/09 01:14 AM)

Edit - Reply

Is mLAN dead???
Do you think mLAN will be around for much longer? I really hope so because I think its great technology... I seriously hope Yamaha supports it for years to come because I couldn't imagine doing things any other way. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark Liebrand
Music.Art.Expression.

Post Extras:

ElmerJFudd
Guru
Loc: USA

(05/08/09 07:23 PM)

Edit - Reply

Re: Is mLAN dead???
I personally think there is life in the notion of audio midi networking, which is what mLAN is really intended to be. Whether or not this continues over firewire remains to be seen. From what we have seen so far, Yamaha is moving away from the mLAN name and they have discontinued development of mLAN software for next generation operating systems (as of now it appears there will not be mLAN development for 64 bit operating systems like Windows 7 or Mac OSX Snow Leopard).

Currently, Yamaha is working with Steinberg on what they call the Yamaha-Steinberg-Firewire-Driver. It is similar to mLAN, with some obvious differences (like a max of 3 devices at a time) and the hardware has changed from custom Yamaha chipsets to Dice II.

This might be an interesting read/watch for you,
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2009/04/10/messe09-copperlan-one-wire-to-link-them-all/
if you are interested in audio/midi networking. I'd love to see a simple way to include just about any device on a network.

White MacBook '09 (4gb RAM), OSX.5.8, v.1.2 mLAN tools, Logic 9, 01X, S90ES, i88x & i88x

Post Extras:

craven
Newcomer

(01/11/10 11:02 AM)

Edit - Reply

Re: Is mLAN dead???
Hi,

I hope this isn't a necro but is the Motif Rack XS using Dice II and would that mean that devices such as tc electronic konnekt, actually could use MLan software or other type as noted in this thread?

Post Extras:

Pages: 1