Author Comment
NinjaLincoln
Regular
Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA, Earth

(03/05/07 02:37 PM)

Edit - Reply

Discuss song writing methods ITT
How do you go about writing a song?
What methods or processes have you used successfully to write your songs?
Is there a particular instrument that you are most skilled at playing that you tend to begin on?
Are you focused on writing the harmonic structure first, or do you start with a melodic figure?
How many instrument parts do you see in your initial vision? How much does it deviate from this vision?

I have many questions about everything music, but I'll start with these. I just booked some studio time at my university today for a class project, which means I need to write songs. I have done some composing previously, as well as recording (thx aw16g!), but I would like to step up my abilitys. Any input on the stubject of writing songs would be great.

You just did the mastering equivilant of poking it with a stick...

Post Extras:

Wellie
Guru
Loc: London

(03/06/07 04:26 AM)

Edit - Reply

Re: Discuss song writing methods ITT
As far as lyricism is concerned, one good author on the subject is Sheila Davis and she has a workbook called "Successful Lyric Writing" as well as "The songwriter's Ideas book" both of which cover a wide variety of writing concepts including structures and approaches to use.

Cheers

Wellie

Dave Wellington.org

www.myspace.com/davewellington

Post Extras:

NinjaLincoln
Regular

(03/06/07 10:18 PM)

Edit - Reply

Care to share any of the tips or ideas contained in these books? I have a healthy natural fear of bookstores and paying for stuff.

Post Extras:

Wellie
Guru
Loc: London

(03/07/07 04:03 AM)

Edit - Reply

And I have a natural healthy fear of typing out what you could read for yourself - A public library may well be able to help you overcome your fear.

Cheers

Wellie

Dave Wellington.org

www.myspace.com/davewellington

Post Extras:

flyingv
Regular

(03/14/07 01:37 PM)

Edit - Reply

Hey again Ninja. The only difference between a songwriter and a non-songwriter is that a songwriter writes songs. You have to create without judging. Check out Julia Camerons' book "the Artists Way". It helped to free me up to be able to create. Good Luck!
Dee Girard
www.deegirard.com

Post Extras:

Andyk123
Regular

(03/22/07 12:07 AM)

Edit - Reply

Not sure if this is a dead topic - thought I'd give my thoughts.

I usually start off with a genre that I'd like to write a song in. I've been playing long enough that I know what licks/changes/riffs work with what styles and how far you can stretch a blues song to make it sound disco.

After I sketch out basic harmonies, I'll write a melody line by humming along with it.

When I find out how it makes me 'feel' (happy/sad/angry) I'll generally jot down some basic lyrics, sit in front of the microphone and play until I've hacked something out.

That's how I do it. And I constantly re-evalulate what I'm doing everytime I add something new.

It can be really great, or really slow. I find writing on different instruments gives me different avenues of approach. I play a lot more texturally with piano, more rhythmic with acoustic guitar, more lyrically with electric (doubling the melody with guitar licks).

Good luck.

Post Extras:

NinjaLincoln
Regular

(04/13/07 02:48 AM)

Edit - Reply

I had my first session in the studio today, and my second session is tomorrow morning. Today was really rough trying to get what I wanted done in the 2 hours that I had. I got through it, but do cringe somewhat at the product that i have in my hand. So tomorrow is a big day for finishing tracking, preparing the mixdown, and then mixing down. I don't know where I will get all of the time for this [censored], as I would like to have 2 hours just for mixing and mastering, and I only have 3 hours total. :-( what a bummer, but I'll post what I get when I'm done.

Post Extras:

Andyk123
Regular

(04/13/07 08:56 AM)

Edit - Reply

Are you doing demo's? How much material did you get through? What kind of material?

The fact that you only had 2 hours to do it - wow. The bands we record have 12 hour days and still hardly get anything done - thats just for tracking.

Are you cringing because of performance issues or sound quality?

Good luck,
Andy

Post Extras:

NinjaLincoln
Regular

(04/18/07 07:48 PM)

Edit - Reply

my sessions were almost a week ago, and i ended up with one song cut. pretty dissapointing, but its my univ's rec. studio so i can get more time soon hopefully, plus i got the DigiPer session files, so I can work on it elsewhere. I am prolly going down to campus again tonight to work on it. Will update as I get more going, and I'll fill in the details.

I'm still pretty excited tho. You can hear one cut called ice cream cone on my myspace. check it out!

http://www.myspace.com/davidaustinv

Post Extras:

oceanbook
Newcomer

(09/13/07 03:05 AM)

Edit - Reply

Hi everyone,

I simply play 2 or 3 chords and try to get a momentum and within minutes I would suddenly hum a tune with gibberish words lol but I have managed within half an hour to write a verse and a chorus and within that day I proceed to finish the chords and the hums into a complete song, sometimes tho I felt like a man possessed and start writing and finishing a song within an hour!

www.myspace.com/covenvox
http://songramp.com/covenvox

Post Extras:

Pages: 1