Author Comment
DSPro14
Regular
Loc: Irvine, CA

(12/01/08 11:05 PM)

Edit - Reply

AUX send question?
Hi everyone,

I have a question for anyone who might be able to help here. I just picked up a compressor (Alesis 3630) from my friend and I am trying to hook it up to my 01X. Don't get me wrong, I know the 01X has a compressor and I do use it but I am just trying to expand my horizons and try new things. Part of that is wanting to learn how to route audio from the 01X and use the compressor I just got.

I think I am half way / possibly more the way through figuring this out. But, there's always a but!

My status:

>> 1.) I have the 01X Stereo/AUX Outputs running into the inputs on the compressor which has an A and B which can be paired for stereo.

>> 2.) From there I have the outputs running back into the 01X on MIC/LINE Inputs channels 7 and 8 paired as stereo.

>> 3.) I have levels coming though the compressor and I have everything (for the time being) set up on the 01X for the compressor to be used for stereo signals. Meaning, I have the AUX 1 and AUX 2 stereo paired as well. My intents will be to try it on vocals once I get this all figured out. I know I will only need the left channel on the compressor and AUX 1 on the 01X.

>> 4.) I have recorded a signal into Sonar and I have confirmed the compressor is processing the singal. I tweaked the settings as I recorded.

My Issue:

>> 1.) I can't seem to figure out how to hear the signal being processed through the compresser? I hear the stereo mix I am trying to process and I am seeing the levels working on the compressor.

>> 2.) I am close to confident that I have all the cables and to an from the compressor to the 01X. I went through page 60 in the user manual which bounced me to page 88 and a few others.

>> 3.) I set the send levels on the 01X to send what I have as my main stereo for my computer and DAW on channels 23 ans 24.

>> 4.) I am playing a stereo mix from Windows Media Player which I have AUX1 and AUX 2 on channel 23 and 24 which is going to the compressor.

>> 5.) I have a track armed and recording the return channel from the comprros to the 01x MIC/LINE Inputs on channels 7 and 8 which are successfully recording to the 01X.

My Question:

Basically, how do I hear the processed signal so I can actually hear what I am doing with the compressor? Am I on the right track? Anyone? I would really appreciate it... Thanks!

Thanks,
Mark Liebrand
Music.Art.Expression.

Post Extras:

Bad_Mister
Guru
Loc: New York, NY

Attachment
(08/15/09 03:18 PM)

Edit - Reply

Re: AUX send question?
There are parts of your post that are crystal clear and others that I do not understand. At the beginning you seem to be working with Sonar and a vocal that you want to process with an external compressor (in spite of all the high-quality compressors on board the 01X), okay, maybe that I get... (Maybe)

but what do ISSUES #3, 4 and 5 have to do with this microphone, and Sonar???

I assume you mean you are returning the DAW audio to mL15 and mL16 (Channels 23 & 24) so you can monitor them.
If I'm understanding the "My Issue:" area of your post, is that you want to hear the signal after it returns from the external compressor...

If that is correct -
1) Simply lower the faders for Channels 23 and 24 (mL15 and mL16) so they do not feed the monitors.
2) Make the AUX SEND or SENDS that you are using to route this to the compressor "PRE" Sends. "PRE" means Pre or Before the Fader. You do this by selecting the paired channel > Press the [SEND] button (repeatedly if necessary) to select AUX1 SEND PRE/POST

You may see in the 01X screen one of the following two settings on the channels:

"AX1-PP" = AUX SEND 1 PRE/POST
"POST" (with the name of the parameter in the upper left corner "Aux1 SEND PRE/PORT")
POST is the default setting. Turn the Knob to switch to "PRE"

What you see will depend on the [NAME/VALUE] button. NAME will always display the parameter name aboe each channel... while VALUE will show just the current setting and the parameter name will be in the upper left of the screen.

Or if you are using the 01X Studio Manager Editor See attached JPEG...

1) Select channel 23/24
2) On the menu bar go to WINDOWS > SELECTED CHANNEL
3) on the right side of the SELECTED CHANNEL window set the "AUX SEND 1" = PRE.

By having the signal routed out via the AUX SEND before it goes through the fader you can send the data you require to the compressor without listening to it... you want to hear (monitor) just the returning signal which, if I understand you correctly, is coming back to the 01X on paired analog inputs 7 and 8

Simply raise faders 7 and 8 and you are now hearing the signal POST returning from your compressor.

Just make sure you never, ever, ever route 7 and 8 out on the AUXes or you will feedback like crazy...

Hope that covers your issues. I don't really understand #5 as the 01X has never Recorded anything - I assume you mean you are then routing 7 and 8 to be recorded in Sonar (I'm guessing).

Let us know.

Post Extras:

DSPro14
Regular

(08/17/09 12:05 PM)

Edit - Reply

Bad_Mister,

Thank you for the information... I will go threw this tonight when I get home and see what I can do with it... I am hoping to just start experimenting with different gear I have had laying around and put it to use...

Will this work with mic pre amps too? Will it be stereo or mono? Or is there a way I can make the signal stereo or mono when I want?

Thanks,
Mark Liebrand
Music.Art.Expression.

Post Extras:

DSPro14
Regular

(08/17/09 07:10 PM)

Edit - Reply

SO I got home and went threw the instructions that you sent me....

I am getting the signals to and from the compressor but I cannot here them on channels 7 & 8 unless I turn up the DAW channels mLAN15 & mLAN16 (Channels 23 & 24). I can hear the compressor is doing something but only when I turn those channels up all the way. I do have the AUX1 sends set to PRE as you suggested.

I definitely see that the DAW signal being routed to the AUX1 send it hitting the compressor but I was thinking that when I have the DAW channels turned down that I would now here them on channels 7 & 8? I went threw the instructions you gave me a few times to make sure I wasn't missing anything (which I am sure I most likely am) and still no luck.

Any suggestions??? I'd appreciate any more help you can give!

Thanks,
Mark Liebrand
Music.Art.Expression.

Post Extras:

Bad_Mister
Guru

(08/17/09 10:57 PM)

Edit - Reply

I am assuming you have [MONITOR A/B] light turned OFF - which means you are listening to the INTERNAL 01X mixer.

Can you post a picture of your Graphic Patchbay - the AUDIO view

I assumed you were returning audio from your DAW via the PATCHBAY to mL15 and mL16 (this would return it to the internal mixer)... we're routing the signal, PRE the fader, to the compressor via AUX 1.. The return output of the compressor comes back to 7 and 8 again of the internal mixer.

It can't miss - just did it here. Try again.

Post Extras:

DSPro14
Regular

(08/18/09 10:57 AM)

Edit - Reply

Bad_Mister,

I checked and indeed the A/B Monitor light is turned off. I must be missing something somewhere? I have really gone on with the 01X with blinders on. I got it working and never really tried to familiarize myself with it more which is affecting me now.

Anyway, I took some screen shots if you can take a look and see if I am missing something? You can see them here:

/forums/index.php

Thanks for your time!

Thanks,
Mark Liebrand
Music.Art.Expression.

Post Extras:

Bad_Mister
Guru

(08/21/09 07:08 AM)

Edit - Reply

Sorry, for the delay...

On the 01X go to [UTILITY}
Press KNOB 2 [PATCH]
Use the DISPLAY DOWN Cursor arrow to advance to PAGE 6 of 8 "Utility Output Patch (DIGITAL ST/AUX OUT PORT)"
in the center of the screen set the option so that:

[AUX 1/2] -> ST/AUX OUT

That should do it. What this does is send the AUX Bus to the 1/4" jacks on the back marked "STEREO/AUX OUT" - the default condition is the STEREO BUS is routed to those jacks... you want to switch it to the AUX 1/2.

Hopefully you have your Monitor Speakers connected to the MONITOR OUTPUTS (that was one of our biggest problems early on with the 01X - people would connect the Stereo Bus to their Monitor speakers)...

Anyway let us know.

Post Extras:

DSPro14
Regular

(08/28/09 11:52 AM)

Edit - Reply

Bad_Mister,

That did it... Switching the [AUX 1/2] -> ST/AUX OUT got me working... Thank you so much for your time and patience and guiding me through the process. I am always grateful when I can get some expert help out of these forums.

One questions. If I want to record a bass line, which I assume needs to be a mono signal??? Is there anything I need to do to get the signal to be mono or just send it out of AUX 1 and into channel 7 panned center? Then send that channel to Sonar?

Thanks,
Mark Liebrand
Music.Art.Expression.

Post Extras:

Pages: 1